Saturday, August 25, 2007

You could eat this, but probably shouldn't.

Today, in honor of having some extra children in the house, I've made playdough!

It's not hard to make. Although it always takes more salt and Cream of Tartar than I remember. To the right you see one of the sluglets kneading in the blue. Today I ran out of salt, and used substantially less. As you can see, the playdough turned out fine, but I may have compromised it's non-molding capacity. The best thing about this playdough is I find it softer, smoother, and less crumbly than the commercial kind. It's much more fun to work with, really.


Homemade Playdough


Ingredients:
4 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cream of tartar
4 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
place flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a large pot and mix together
add water and oil, and mix together. Mixture will be lumpy

cook over medium heat approximately 3-5 minutes, until mixture thickens and forms a ball in the center around the spoon. Squarsh it around using the spoon to make sure the middle gets cooked as well.

Remove from heat and cool until it is not too hot to knead.

Divide into balls and knead food coloring into each ball. I usually make 3 colors with this quantity of playdough.

The playdough is non-toxic, but not really edible. Peanut Butter Playdough is a good choice for edible. Maybe I'll post that another day. It's a great choice for a fun special lunch.

Anyway... store in airtight containers, refrigerating prolongs it's life. I usually keep it in ziplock bags with the air squooshed out, and it usually lasts a few weeks before it molds. But I won't guarantee that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thats cute.. a sluglette made a playdoe slug! Looks like you need to update this once in a while..lol