Friday, August 3, 2007

Lemon Blueberry Drop Scones

I've never made scones. I thought they were fancy. But when MadCityDad suggested them, I thought I could give them a shot. Turns out they're really just glorified biscuits! Who knew!

So this morning we had Lemon Blueberry Drop Scones:



The recipe I pulled from allrecipes.com -- Lemon Blueberry Drop Scones

I didn't make many changes ... I used dried lemon zest because it's what I had, no real lemons here. And I used plain fat free yogurt, rather than the lemon yogurt suggested, because it's what I had. I added about 1.5 tsp lemon flavoring, as well.

here is the recipe as I made it:

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup plain fat free yogurt
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 cup fresh blueberries*

GLAZE:
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the yogurt, egg and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm scones.

*If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to batter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sluggie, I LOVE this recipe! I made some more last night! I actually used 1 cup of Weight Watchers Lemon Cream Pie yogurt (has sucralose in it), and upped the sugar from 1/3rd to 1/2 and used a little more blueberries. They came out awesome, of course :-D