Saturday, August 18, 2007

Let's Call it Murleen's Meatloaf

My friend gave this recipe to me. As you'll see in her amusing chatter below, she does not want to be identified. So I'm just going to call her Murleen. None of the following words are mine, I have preserved the recipe in it's originally received form because it pleases me.

Murleen's Meatloaf

OK. Here You Go (Correction Added)
Teena asked for my meatloaf recipe. I can't stand meatloaf so I looked and looked till I came up with something so delectable I could stand to make it.

It's a huge recipe because we are a huge family, but meatloaf is nice to freeze for a quick meal later on. Or do like I do sometimes and make tiny tiny meatballs or individual sized meatball (about as big as a child's fist). Serve with brown gravy.

Feel free to pass the recipe around but do not...repeat, DO NOT...attach my name to it. I don't want my name attached to meatloaf on any level.

Well, if that didn't take away your appetite for meatloaf, I don't know what will!

Meatloaf

6 lbs hamburger
2 cans evaporated milk
4 eggs
I package saltines (crunch them into tiny bits before you open the package)
1 (or more...whatever) cups oats
2 pkgs dried onion soup

Hmmm. Is there anything else in there? No. Nope. No, I don't think so. Yeah. That's it.

OK. Squish it together. Do not remove your wedding rings. They needed to be cleaned anyway, and this way you are SURE to get them cleaned this week.

Makes 3 meatloaves
or
A lot of single serving sized meatballs
or
A ton of tiny meatballs

All freeze really well. To freeze the meatballs, freeze them on a cookie sheet first, then put them into freezer bags. That way you can take out as many or as few as you like.

I'm a terrible person when it comes to cooking...you know, always cook on high, rarely follow a recipe, have a repretoire of 28 meals no more no less, loves washing the dishes (people who like to clean hate to cook and vice versa and don't tell me you are one of those people who love both because I don't want to hate you. It's a sin)...so I won't be making you endure too many recipes.

Of course, I make a killer Teriyaki Chicken. Mmmm. My Eggflower Soup is pretty tasty too. Oh. Pfeffer Nusseau. But I won't bother you with that one till the holidays...if then.

OK. No more recipes. Given a choice, I'd rather clean grout than cook. Of course, I love the way the grout turns from icky stains to clean beautiful white...but that's another post. On with life!

Oh yes. As [another friend] reminded me, the meat should be cooked.

Meatloaf 350 for 1-1.25 hours
Average meatballs 350 for 25-30 minutes
Tiny meatballs 350 for about 20 minutes

There you go. No sense in eating raw meatloaf if you don't have to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you have any other recipes of "Murleen"'s? She's a hoot!